Wednesday morning I headed out the door at 6:30 to go meet my counseling client for the last time. It was sad to say goodbye to him because he is 1) such a great and adorable person and 2) he has made so much progress and we did a lot of great work together. So after our final goodbye, I pated on myself on the back just long enough to get home and then it was "learn to teach a class" time. I tried to go through the exercises I wanted to do, figure out the order, how many reps of each, and oh yeah I need a playlist on my phone! I stayed relatively calm but was a little nervous and frustrated because I wanted to nail this and just didn't feel prepared. There are so many things to think about when you are teaching that you just don't consider as you are panting in the back taking the class.
I showed up to BFF an hour early to set up my stuff and ask Beth a million questions. "How many reps should I do? How do I count and make postive banter? Should I use lighter weights than normal? What if they think my class is too easy? What if I do something wrong?" Basically the answer to all these questions was, "You'll be fine!". Luckily the group that takes the class in the mornings is pretty consistent so there were a lot of friendly faces staring back at me as I nervously greeted them and fumbled through the order of exercises. My friend/classmate Michelle even dropped in for the class. Nothing like pressure of impressing all your friends. However, I think it went well, but it's hard to tell as the instructor. I got good feedback, but I'm afraid they were just being nice and supportive. Regardless, it was my first experience and now I have my toes in the water. I'm sure with time I'll get more comfortable and wont feel the need to obsessivley plan and worry the whole time...well or maybe just not quite as much anyways.
Workout:
Barre instructor - 1 hour :)
Lessons:
Just a few lessons I learned while teaching...
- Arenaline is the real deal. Caution: may cause you to do everything faster than your normal rate...ooops.
- Adrenaline also helps you become stronger than you realized. I wasn't feeling a thing! I couldn't tell if the class was hard enough so I kept tacking on more time to each exercise just in case. I hope my class can walk now...
- Time goes really fast when you are up there.
- Apparently adrenaline makes me work faster and harder...and sweat more. I have never sweated that much in a barre class. I had sweat dripping off my nose and I look out and see everyone else perfectly dry. Embarassing.
- Just because you like your playlist while you are sitting there listening to it, does not mean it's what you feel like listening to while instructing. I definately needed to leave the rock at home and stick with the cheesey pop hits.
- Class is quite. No, I mean really really quiet. So as an instructor you feel the need to count out loud, but also throw out tips or encouragement (and keep track of counting). Then when you do throw out these words, you feel awkward because it is silent. Which makes you feel the need to say more, but you have to figure out where you got off count! (oh and don't let anyone tell that you are lost)
- Take time to stretch out yourself afterward. You may have had a lot of adrenaline that made you feel invincible and super woman strong, but later you will still feel the effects of a good and tough workout.
- You realize as you are up there making everyone do one more excruciating rep that they are all silently cursing your name. Interesting feeling.
- You can't decide if you want them to like you because your class was fun or hate you because you kicked their butt.
- Don't use your iphone as your music source because when your Mom calls in the middle of class the music stops and everyone gets to hear your ringtone.
Fudgcicle with natural peanut butter and lite cool whip. Cassia Jo, if I lose this challenge it is entirely your fault for teaching me how to turn a sweet and innocent 80 calorie treat into a seductive dessert.
1 comment:
I LOVE tip #10!
Post a Comment