Happy Valentine's Day Lovers! While I normally choose to wear black and wish everyone a happy "Singles Awareness Day" in protest to the day of love, this year I decided to be indifferent with a side of cheerfulness. Being single on February 14th can be sad and lonely. Everyone is throwing their love in your face with postings of flowers received at work, dinner dates, and mushy love notes posted on facebook. You start to feel as if you are the only one not invited to a party. It actually reminds me a of comedy piece by Dane Cook. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJEvROTScaY)
But this year was different for me. It wasn't different because I had a secret admirer or anything crazy like that, it was different because I didn't care. I recognized the day by wearing a heart necklace and ring, took heart linzer cookies to my class and wished everyone a Happy Valentine's day. I didn't feel hurt and left out, and I didn't feel euphoric and in love. I just felt like a girl who is ok with herself and being where she is at. It seems so simple and natural, yet odd because I've never felt like this before. I'm usually all in or all out for V-Day. But this year, I'm just me. Just here. Just Ok with it all. It's kind of odd...yet kind of nice. I'm lucky to have many wonderful and loving relationships in my life and while they aren't of the romantic sort, they are equally important. I'm truly blessed. So thank you to all the loves of my life and I hope you had a great Valentine's Day.
P.S. I hope you got chocolates because that certainly make the day even better.
No comments:
Post a Comment