Monday, February 6, 2012

The Annoying Gym Girl

I would like to apologize to everyone who reads my blog, reads my facebook statuses, talks to me on the phone, or has a dinner conversation with me.  I'm sorry if I tend to talk about working out, eating healthy, or fitness topics in general.  It's annoying, I know, I really get it, but it happens to slip out of my mouth all the time.  Maybe that's because in order to see results you have to be dedicated and in order to be dedicated you have to constantly make decisions to stay on track throughout the day.  I tend to think about my workout schedule a lot.  I then decide what I will be eating throughout the day based on my workouts.  Then I wonder if what I'm doing is effective so I research. Oh, and I work at a gym. Soooo as you can see, I've become a fitness nerd. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a fitness junkie because I do take days off every once in awhile (ahem, the entire past weekend...) and I could never give up ice cream.

I find that I need to apologize because a) I used to deplore people like the new me.  If you are ok with where you are at, you don't need constant reminders of how other people are working out and eating right (and better than you). You are forced to compare yourself to them, and then if you are like me you silently judge and hate yourself and then to make up for it you hate them for making you feel like you hate yourself.  And then there is reason b) I'm now surrounded by "newbie" fitness peeps.  Now don't get me wrong, I want everyone to experience the success and happy feelings of endorphins and smaller waistlines. Although I might get a tad jealous when people can drop weight quickly and I've been struggling, this is not the root of my frustration.  My frustration comes from these people that have suddenly decided they are going to work out and eat right and they KNOW everything.  I really really hope I did not come across this way. I did a lot of research and tried to be knowledgeable, but I never meant to come across as a self appointed expert. I just find it frustrating when someone who has been working out for a week tries to tell me what classes I should be taking because it's important to cross train. ( I take 5-6 different exercise classes a week, I got it.)  Or when someone else makes an un requested announcement to a group of us that it's really important to make sure you strength train and not just do cardio if you want to lose weight. Funny how I remember explaining that to a certain someone a week earlier.

Ok, enough mean venting. It's great that everyone is stepping up their health routines and I applaud them. I also need to remember that I've probably annoyed the hell out of everyone around me for the past 8 months, so for that I truly apologize.

P.S. If you currently do not workout or watch what you eat and are at a safe health level and are happy with who/where you are, GOOD FOR YOU! Although I want everyone to be healthy, I really respect people that have strong self-esteem and are comfortable in their own skin.

No comments: