Yesterday was an off day for me and I fully took advantage of it. I rested my legs and ate carbs to my hearts content (it's important for runners right?). I was prepping for my first "long run". While 3 miles isn't exactly all that long, it is the start of my sunday ritual where I will be increasing my runs by a mile every week. I mentally prepared to wake up and get a start on the day before it got to hot, I ate pasta for dinner, and I picked out my neon running outfit. Were these things necessary for a 3 mile run? Not really, but I'm trying to get pumped and into a routine for the future big runs.
I woke up this morning at 7 (not 5 like I had originally planned). It was overcast and looked like it was a little cooler than the rest of the week but it was definitely still muggy. I took my spark and vitamins and grabbed my ipod. Someone gave me the advice yesterday to just not worry about time at all. And you know what, that perspective helped. I've been trying to push myself the past couple of runs run at a set pace. Today for the the "long" run I was just going to go as slow as I felt comfortable and enjoy it. I zigzagged through the neighborhood and enjoyed looking at all the beautiful houses where the other half live. And guess what, the run went by fast and easy! Well ok, not "fast", I actually was about 40 seconds slower per mile, but still, I didn't hate the run. I enjoyed it. I even ran an extra .5 miles just because I wasn't home yet and still felt good.
And just to keep my Sunday ritual routine off to a good start, now I'm going to allow myself to replenish my carb levels with a Sunday Brunch. (Will Run for Waffles).
No comments:
Post a Comment