Normally Monday's aren't all that bad for me work/school wise. It's the dreaded Tuesdays of this quarter that I fear (long stressful day). However, this fine Monday decided to amp up the fun factor and provided me a stressful and eventful day. Well actually, it was mostly just stressful until the end where it got eventful. I will skip over the boring details of how I felt rushed throughout the day and how I felt defeated in my class and I'll head to the experience I hope to never relive.
Now, I don't pretend to be a great parker. I wouldn't say I'm a bad driver necessarily (if you disagree, keep your trap shut, I'm tired, emotional, cranky, and don't want to hear it), but I admit that parking is stressful for me. This quarter I paid a little more money for a parking pass in the covered/warmer garage that is closer to most of my classes. I figured with me adjusting to a winter season, it would be worth not having to trek across campus in the elements. UC parking garages are, I think, horribly planned out in order to cram as many spots possible into the structure, thus creating tight spaces to squeeze in and out of. Today I was excited to see a spot right away and whipped right in there no problems...until I got out and saw (with horror) how close the side of my car was to the large column. I had a bit of a panic moment, but realized I had to hurry to meet with my counseling client and would just have to worry about it later. I would be fine I told myself. I could get out of there. (I lied.)
After feeling particularly down after my class and venting about the frustrations of my program with Mary, a classmate, I headed to my car...my car parked extremely close to a large cement column...my car who has a big ass (it's ok Roxie, it runs in the family). "Ok Ok, deep breath", I tell myself. "You can do this. You know how to drive. You have a college degree. Just think it through and go slow". Fifteen minutes later I am still inching forward, inching back, angling my car, readjusting, inching forward inching back...get out and check see that my door handle is actually touching said column...get back in car, try not to cry, inch forward, freaking out, about to really cry now...And then comes along my Knight in shining armor...
Well not really a knight but a nice older couple who saw me struggle when they pulled in. The man got in my car, the women and I stretched my yoga mat between the car and around the column, and the man finagled my car safely out the the treacherous spot. I think I thanked them a bazillion times while holding back tears and trying to have some sense of dignity. They said no problem and were off to the basketball game, like it happens every day. All I have to say is Thank God for nice generous people. It's so great to know that they still exist out there. It's a blessing of being back in the Midwest for sure.
Now that I safely made it home with me and Roxie in tact, I need to force myself to finish off this blissful day with a paper that is due tomorrow. Trying to gather up my wits, pride, and self respect to get it going. (If only it were as easy as writing a blog entry!).
Hope you all had a much much more fabulous Monday filled with successful parking experiences.
2 comments:
Remember the one time at Wooster I went to get in my car and someone had left the note "WORST PARKING JOB EVER!" on my windshield? Well they did lol
Actually I was remembering that vividly as I sat in the parking garage that night. I was thinking how someone should have left that note on my car. Also, it made me feel better that other amazingly awesome people have trouble parking sometimes!
Post a Comment