Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Dance Floor is My Stage

As the great Britney Spears said "There are two types of people in the world. The ones that entertain and the ones that observe. Well baby, I'm a put-on-a-show kind of girl".  While I'm not normally one to crave the spotlight, there is something about dance that all the sudden makes me a little braver, a little more bold, a little more spotlight kind of girl.

After graduating and saying goodbye to my dance team, I felt let down. It was hard to not have dance practices to look forward to and performances for that adrenaline rush. I slowly got used to it and frankly I think life got a little more dull.  While I'm not back on a dance team, I am finding ways to get my dance kicks.

On Saturdays I take an Alter Ego dance class. A Ben Gal cheerleader teaches us choreography from a different popular performance artist.  I live for these classes. It is a good test for my memory as we try to learn the choreography and be able to run it a couple of times full out before our hour class is up.  It's good cardio, and great food for my soul.  This week we did Britney's "Slave for You".  It was one of the fastest routines we have learned, but the most fun.  I probably looked like a fool as I was going full out with a big grin on my face.  There might not have been an audience (probably a good thing since I was getting sweaty ewww) but it felt good to release into dance mode.

As a bonus to the weekend, I just finished a two hour rehearsal for an upcoming performance.  It's just a small showcase at Bella Forza (the awesome fitness center and studio I work at).  I'm in a routine with 6 girls and I'm getting giddy at the idea of performing. Along with the giddiness is of course nerves, but I don't even care. I'm just so thrilled to have a few minutes performing. Of course if you know me, I'm obsessing and constantly thinking of tiny details such as hair style, outfit choice,  lipstick color etc, but I can't help it. I'm a dance high!

Now if I could only put as much concentration on my school work instead of choreography...

3 comments:

Megan said...

Sounds exciting! My only dance experience was wearing a fake preggo belly... but I like to think I know what you are talking about. Oh... and the gymnastics routine when I was 6 years old when I just stood there refusing to move while my classmates danced around me...

Chevie said...

I am so glad you are dancing! And when is this performance?

Rachel said...

Megan, you were a beautiful prego dancer! And Chevie, my performance is Jan. 28th. It's not really a big deal, but I'm still excited.