Thursday, October 9, 2008

A Love Confession

I’ve always known this deep down in my heart, but I suddenly feel the need to confess my love. I am in madly deeply love with bookstores and cafes. There is just something about the way they make me feel. They can instantly calm my nerves when I’m stressed, make me feel smart, organized, and aware of what’s going on in the world. All is right when in a bookstore or café.

I think my love for bookstores stems from my early days in grade school when my mom would let us order books from the book order program or from the book fair. We never had money to splurge on new toys, but she couldn’t tell us no when it came to books “because it was educational”. Unfortunately that mind frame has created trouble for me because my mom’s motto rings through my mind as I run my hands across all the bright colored books so conveniently placed on the bargain or suggested reading table. If I put it on my credit card, it’s not a bad thing “because it’s educational!” Last night I confessed to Jordan that I loved being in B&N and would be so happy and peaceful to sleep in an aisle surrounded by so many books. Weird, yes, but so true.

Café’s are similar to bookstores in the way they make me feel. Maybe it’s all a false pretense and I’m just being a poser sitting in a café writing letters to far away friends or blogging about silly love confessions, but I’m a sucker. I will gladly buy that latte to use your free wireless internet and have the brief sense of peace with myself. It’s not often that I’m content with who I am, but for some reason, sitting there I’m alright. And what could be better than a bookstore with a café in it? Nothing (ok maybe there are a few other fabulous and important things in the world, but right now I’m blinded by love).

Whenever I’m running into a café for my break at work, I instantly get jealous of the people lounging in the chairs sipping on their coffee and reading the paper or the latest book. How do these people get the privilege to do this during the day? I would love to be afforded that luxury in life. Until then, I’ll have to be content with my late night visits to escape from my living situation. I guess I have my living arrangements to thank for reuniting me with my love so frequently J

P.S. Even though I have a pile of books I need to read, if you have a suggestion to add to my list please let me know!

2 comments:

Saranade07 said...

A) the people reading in cafes during the day are probably students. We have nothing to do.

B)There is a theory for what they call your love of bookstores and cafes. It's called the Third Place. Look it up. You'll feel enlightened.

C) Miss u and shhhh.. don't tell but I go to barnes and nobles on a weekly basis.

Mom said...

Well look at how smart you are! Do you think you got it from me??? ha ha

Read Iron Lace by Emilie Richards