Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Twinkle Toes Tuesdays

I’ve now had 4 adult ballet classes and I’m so glad that I got the nerve up to join. It’s not only a great workout (we’re talking sore calves for 4 days) but it’s such a great way to relieve stress. It just feels so right to be in the dance studio. Now, I’m not saying that I look as good as it makes me feel, far from it actually. But I try to ignore the fact that I’m hopping around trying to mimic everyone and instead focus on the improvements (if any) I've made from the last class. I’ve had to retrain my muscle memory. Not only do I have to listen to the teacher’s instructions while showing us the combination, I have to remember what each term means, the proper way to do it, and then try to get my body to do it all at once. The fact that the teacher is from Scotland only complicates it as I have to decipher is accent! Although, I really don’t mind listening to his accent and watching him as he demonstrates. He’s young, cute, and a dancer from the professional company ;)
Since I never had the opportunity to run around in a tutu when I was younger, I’m learning to take advantage of it while I can in my 20’s. I’ll never be a real ballerina, but I still look forward to Tuesdays when I get to pick out a leotard and tights and pretend.
As excited as I am all week for class, as Tuesday night draws near, I get really nervous and don’t want to go. I don’t know why I put myself through that crazy process every week because once I’m there I’m fine. I was so close giving in to the nerves and not going this week especially when my friend from work, Natalia, told me she wasn’t going to make it. I wanted to be lazy and just go home and read, but I was good and forced myself to go. I am so glad that I did! I talked to another girl in my class and she was really cool. We chatted before and then went over the combination together after class. It might be sad that talking with someone is so exciting to me, but I feel like I finally have made a new friend! Unless you’ve moved to a new city or across the country, you don’t know how hard that can be to accomplish. I’m looking forward to getting to know her a little better and to have another friendly face at class. It's also exciting to meet a new friend through dance, because that's where I've created some great friendships. Personal Foul and Dance Company brought some great girls into my life and I couldn't imagine college without them. Hopefully my new dance scene will continue to bring friends into my new life out west :)

1 comment:

Saranade07 said...

Yay for you! I feel the same way about going to my yoga class, although there is no sexy scot or friends to talk to.