As the class of '09 joins in the Wooster tradition of I.S. Monday, I had to take a walk down memory lane. Looking back through the pictures, it's hard to believe that it was already 2 years ago. It's such a special day and you can only grasp the importance if you too were a Fighting Scot. Sure on the outside it is just a drunken debauchery at the end of senior year, but if you graduated with the sweet sound of bagpipes, you know it's much much more...but yes there is still drunken debauchery.
Although it is an all day party, it is well deserved. As a senior you spend your entire year coming up with a thesis, asking questions, diving into the stacks for your literature review, and you collect data whether it be samples in a lab or in my case interviews with square dancers. The recording and analyzing of the data is still just the beginning. Many many hours are spent in the library, your room, java hut or anywhere you can sit down at a computer for a bit to type up your thoughts, your questions and hopefully compile a few chapters before your next adviser meeting. The worst thing ever would be if your adviser asks you to rewrite or revisit a chapter. How are you ever supposed to finish in time? But you have to, and somehow we all did by 5:00 on that Monday following Spring Break. (well most everyone)
And when you hand in that thick thesis that took away all your sleep sweat and tears, you get a tootsie roll and I.S. button. It may may seem like a small gesture, but to you at that moment it's like gold. You finally have the coveted prize that all Wooster students work towards in their 4 years as students. Now comes the big question, do you eat it? (I ate mine and kept the wrapper just in case you were wondering).
The goal is to turn your I.S. in before 5:00pm because then you can fully utilize the entire I.S. Monday. The festivities start around 8:00 am as the hole in the wall bars (aka Leroys and the market) open for the special occasion. All groups of friends and classmates don their special I.S. t-shirts, costumes or drinking gear and head out to celebrate. It really is a magical day. No matter where you go, no matter how well you know everyone you are all suddenly best friends. Everyone is so excited to finally have the burden of writing a large thesis off their shoulders and can suddenly enjoy their senior year like students at other schools. You might ask what someone's title or topic was and then share a pitcher of beer...or two.
And when that clock strikes 5:00 the students are gathered and cheering on the steps of Kauke Arch and as the bagpipe band strikes up their is a loud cheer. The Dean leads the line of students in one of the most amusing parades across the campus. Students and Professors line the sidewalks to cheer on the senior class as they march (or stumble) to Kitt for dinner and a night of dancing at the UG. Everyone is hugging and cheering and celebrating the entire day. Underclassmen sometimes feel the need to participate but they will never get the full experience until they are handed their own button. I wish that I could relive my I.S. Monday, but it is truly a once in a lifetime experience. So here's to the Wooster class of 2009 and their passage into a great Wooster tradition.


No comments:
Post a Comment