Saturday, January 17, 2009

Roomates Reunited in PHX



The coolest college roommate ever, Brandi M. Killinger, came to visit me in Phoenix. On New Years Eve Day she departed from Cleveland, I departed from Columbus and we raced across the country to land in Phoenix. (I won by the way)

Her entire visit was a whirlwind and it flew by way. Right after we got home from the airport, we threw down our bags, did a quick change, and then got a ride down to Mill Ave for the Tempe Block Party. Thanks to my wonderful friend, Maureen, we had VIP wristbands which entitled us to free food and drinks and to hang out with the lovely people at the Fiesta Bowl.

I think we got more tipsy off of the excitement of being together in PHX than from the wine and margaritas. It was a great way to start a new year. I think I had as much fun on the walk down Mill and our cab experience than I’ve had in a whole year. Nothing is mundane or boring with Brandi in the picture haha.

New Years Day we set out to let Brandi experience the desert life. We went to Papago Park to climb to the Hole in the Rock and then went to the Desert Botanical Gardens to see the Chihuly Exhibit ( I highly recommend it by the way).

Brandi liked how this glass matched my hair.

Brandi with a real live cactus!

After our exercise we needed nourishment and what better than to introduce Brandi to In & Out Burger? And since we were in the area, we might as well stop by Tempe Market Place for a little shopping. This shopping trip actually spurred one of Brandi’s big ideas. (You know the ones that she gets really excited about and there is no turning back? Yeah one of those exciting ideas haha). She found some baskets that would go well in my room. When she tried to buy them for me and my argument was that I didn’t have room, so proclaimed we would rearrange my entire room. She wasn’t kidding. Brandi is the master of arranging rooms and creative projects. I felt guilty letting her clean and organize my room on her vacation, but like I said, there is no stopping her once it’s in her mind. We worked for hours, moved around all my furniture and did some heavy lifting, but by the end of the night my room had 3 times as much floor space, was clean and actually felt like a room I wanted to spend time in. This was just one of the many things Brandi improved in my life when she was in town. I don’t have room to list them all, but seriously, how did I live without this girl in 2008?

The rest of Brandi’s trip was slightly dulled due to my car (Mali) becoming seriously ill. She had to put up with my distress over what to do and we had to take more cab rides, but we still managed to go out on the town and have a blash. When you have Brandi, you end up making friends with pretty much everyone in the bar and we met some fun people. We even made Keith (who came out for the Fiesta Bowl) hang out with us at Dos Gringos (but we had to promise him there would be no dancing).

Brandi and I on Mill Avenue

These two had never actually met until they both came to Phoenix haha.

It was one of the saddest things to take Brandi back to the airport and send her back to the frigid North. Why can’t she just move out her to AZ and live in the sun with me? Brandi, I think you should seriously consider this ☺.

1 comment:

Brandi said...

I want to come back.... I miss you lots.