Saturday, December 13, 2008

What are you really good at?

After ballet class the other day, I stopped in the costume shop because the strap on my shoe had come undone. The costume lady told me there was pink thread in the sewing machine and asked if I could sew. I wearily sat down at the machine and managed to fix my strap. I don't know what it is about sewing that scares me to death, but it does. I always get so stressed out and frustrated with myself about it. I mentioned to her that I wished I was good at sewing like my mom and great grandmother. Her response was actually a question and it really caught me off guard. "What are you really good at?" It was such a simple question as if everyone has something they are really good at. I thought for a long time and couldn't come up with an answer. I could only think "I'm mediocre at a lot of things". I used to think dance was my one thing, but that was compared to my high school classmates who could care less about taking dance. Dance was obviously not going to be my answer as I had just fumbled through a ballet class pathetically.
The question brought me back to my earlier ponderings / freak out when I watched Michael Phelps at the Olympics. Watching him be so successful actually sent me into a panic. He was made for swimming. That was his purpose in life. What is mine? What was I made to do? What's my one thing I'm really good at? I'm still trying to decipher the answer. Hopefully I'll find it one day. But now I'm going to throw it back out to you all. What are you really good at?

No comments: