It's crazy how time flies. I'm still coping with the fact that I've
1) Been a graduate of The College of Wooster for a year (yikes)
2) I actually moved across the country (and it's already been my 1 yr anniversary!)
Since I've been away from home I have learned that it can be difficult to keep in touch with the people you love when everyone is spread across the country. Whether it be due to complicated schedules or time zones (darn things!) it's just not as easy to keep up with all the little daily happenings of everyone. So in order to rectify this, I've decided to start a blog for anyone that wants to follow my life out here in the Valley of the Sun. Basically this is for you mom because you'll probably be the only one to read it ;)
A lot has changed since I moved 2,000 miles away but a lot has stayed the same. Some things I'm happy with, some things I'm not, but here's a basic breakdown of my life categories.
Living Arrangement
Still living with my Uncle Rod, Aunt Marisol, and adorable cousin Richie. It's a great situation and I'm blessed to have them. They are letting me save money in the rent department in order to start chipping away at those college loans (thanks Wooster). I'm fed delicious healthy gourmet meals daily by Marisol, I have someone to drink beer and watch football with in Uncle Rod, and Richie's smile can always make me in a brighter mood. Unfortunately, we live in a small house and I just have one tiny room to call my own. Let's just say I'm getting cabin fever.
Job
Oh what a roller coaster it's been! I came out here with an amazing internship with the Fiesta Bowl. It was seriously one of the best experiences of my life. I met so many great people, created some great friendships, and had many hours of great work experiences...emphasis on the many haha. I know I was spoiled with the bowl, but what followed was pure evil. I can't even recall how my job as an Account Executive at EventPro Strategies (from here on out it will be referred to as the evil place or job). It's like a bad dream where I have this sickening feeling when I remember it, but it's all foggy and I can't even process the details. All I know is I was never happy, had a stomach ache every day on the drive there, I cried a WHOLE LOT, and I made a lot of phone calls to people all over the country at all hours of the day and night. I don't know how everyone put up with me for that long because I was not a happy camper. But finally, there was a light at the end of the tunnel and I got a job as Box Office Assistant at Ballet Arizona. I suppose the evil job was worth it in the fact that I eventually ended up in a place I've been wanting to work at for a couple of years now. Now I work at a non-profit and am surrounded by dance all day. It's a Utopia! I even get to take free dance classes (I'll have to post on that experience later) and get comp tickets to the performances. Finally I can say I love my job.
Love Life
Nothing to report, big surprise haha. I think I have issues.
Friendships
I promise that at one point I had a lot of friends out here...but then most of them had to go move away and spread out all over the country. Luckily I still have 2 great friends here and since we basically only know each other they put up with me :) Now don't get me wrong, we know quite a few people here but our "group" on the weekends consists of Me, Veronica (from LSU) and Jordan (from Texas A&M). We are trying to expand our circle but have realized it's quite difficult to meet people in a new state. The bar scene is not the best and we are open to ideas so please share your suggestions!
Extra-Curriculars
Other than work and going out with friends, I've had no activities in my life. I've decided that that is something that needs to change both for my emotional well being and for my social life. In the past month I've joined the Tempe Community Chorus (it's basically a blue hair group lol but it's fun!) and an Adult Ballet Class. It feels good to be joining the arts again and to actually have something on my calendar besides work and reading a book on the weekends :)
Ok well I know this was an extremely long post, but I figure I'd get everyone caught up on the basics from my 1st year here in AZ. I'll try to keep this thing going and post at a semi regular basis.
8 comments:
such a great idea!!! blogs are excellent. :) it sounds like things are going great. we all miss you, but i'm so happy for you too! dream jobs are hard to find and it's so awesome that you already have yours. :) p-fo misses you immensely. come back to ohio for a bit!!
I read it! Ha! Not just your mom will read it silly.
-Sarah
whaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! I miss you. My life means nothing without you. Also, my wardrobe sucks and I have no one to paint my nails with when there is so much work to be done and all I can do to be productive is lacquer my toes. I want to dance around with you in our hooded unitards skip-iting through kauke arch into the sunset. Is that so much to ask out of life? I think not. I love you and miss you so much! :(
Aww thanks for reading and for leaving a comment! I miss you girls so much! Life is not fair that I don't get to see all of you every day :(
Rachel! Hi :-) Thanks for inviting me to your blog. Its a good idea, I may start one for mi familia and far away friends. miss you.
Hi Rach,
Great Idea! I found out something new already. The adult Ballet. You know that makes me very happy!!! Thanks you for this.
Love you,
Mom
rachel...
i miss you...
a lot...
i know we don't talk often because i suck at being a friend lol
everything if your life sounds great.
i came across pictures of us at the loudonville fair-ahhh!
i need to keep in touch more and that is my new goal!
miss you!
xo!
Hey Rachel....I'm Jordan's mom and she forwarded this site to me. I am so thankful for you and your friendship with Jordan. She appreciates you so much....and so do we! It's hard to have the first bird leave the nest and fly so far away. But you will look back on this time of your life and be so proud. Julia Hackney
Post a Comment